Many business owners, franchisees, and independent shops go through rounds of hiring and retaining --- and firing! While at the surface, this seems to be a simple factor with an "endless" pool of people that will work part-time for you, it takes a positive attitude plus a caring culture to retain your employees.
It's 2016 - We are in a world of instant communication
How long have you had your phone? How long have you been texting? Did you know that 8 year-olds now have their own phones to text and stay in communication? I didn't get my first phone (walkie/talkie Nokia) until I was 17 or 18 (2001/2002), and even then, I wasn't allowed to text because it cost extra money --
Fast forward a few years later and see texting as a way of life.
Here are some mind-blowing stats that prove that:
- Texting is the most widely-used and frequently used app on a smartphone, with 97% of Americans using it at least once a day. (Pew Internet)
- Over 6 billion text messages are sent in the U.S. each day. (Forrester)
- The average Millennial exchanges an average of 67 text messages per day (Business Insider)
Text Messaging is Modern Technology and Disruptive
Why are you wasting time emailing, calling and leaving voicemails?
- Text messages have a 98% open rate, while email has only a 20% open rate. (Mobile Marketing Watch)
- Text messaging has a 45% response rate, while email only has a 6% response rate. (Velocify)
- 90% of all text messages are read in under 3 minutes. (Connect Mogul)
- It takes the average person 90 minutes to respond to email, but only 90 seconds to respond to a text message. (CTIA)
Communicate. Communicate. Communicate.
One of most common reasons employees leave is lack of communication from their employer:
- Miscommunication with their schedule which causes missed or late shifts
- Poor communication when important meetings or events are going on in-store
- Poor relationship due to miscommunication of previously shared time-off or shift changes to managers
Strong communication from employers to employees decrease management headache’s:
- Let your employees know their weekly shifts with an automated text message each week, including daily reminders!
- Push out automated text messages for open shifts for those not working - they’ll be happy to earn a shift and you’ll be happy it is filled quickly!
- Your customers will have a GREAT experience when employees are attentive to their needs -- increasing loyalty for both employees and customers